In the nineteenth century, a morbid and curious custom has spread to various parts of the world: the photos were ”Post Mortem”.
”Post Mortem” comes from Latin, meaning after death.
The photos ”Post Mortem” apparently originated in England, when Queen Victoria asked to photograph the corpse of an acquaintance or a relative, so she can keep as a souvenir.
soon after, this idea spread around the world, keeping a morbid reminder of loved ones that have passed on.
Even today, as strange as it may seem, some places still have this custom.
The girl who is standing in the photo is the one who is dead.
This is a classic example of photographic art.
Notice the hands
for people wondering how the corpse is standing up, there is a posing stand supporting the body it’s very hard to see but the stand is supporting the neck, arms and back.
the girl in this picture has her eyes open, but in some cases the photographer will paint pupils on the eye lids to make it seem like they are wide awake
Welp I imagine this was in no way disturbing for the live girl sitting next to her.
Considering the fact that i hated the idea of family members taking pictures of my grandpa while in his casket, i can’t understand why i find THIS so fascinating.
- whoscaresyou likes this
- minnaloushe-royal reblogged this from camiixlove
- minnaloushe-royal likes this
- camiixlove reblogged this from mangosarenottheonlyfruit
- awesomepudding reblogged this from caddies
- bellasingsong reblogged this from kandinskyflowers
- kathrynoliviaaa reblogged this from kandinskyflowers
- kandinskyflowers reblogged this from saltysalmonella
- gettingsweptaways likes this
- knivesenough-toleavescars reblogged this from saltysalmonella
- hetalia-just-cuz reblogged this from spoopyamurica
- hetalia-just-cuz likes this
- spoopyamurica reblogged this from goodkingnamor
- uzidaemon reblogged this from yurilu-remade309js341h8d7hs83
- ferra-itt reblogged this from thearabian-guardian-of-fun
- realfinemood likes this
- tinycatfeet reblogged this from saltysalmonella
- skarawksmichelle reblogged this from freightrains
- seniorincollege-nothighschool reblogged this from therevolutionisnevercoming
- th3pinkbandit likes this
- th3pinkbandit reblogged this from madgesgoldpin
- somepeoplearejustborntobequeen reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- nipslip-koujatit likes this
- ella-the-elf reblogged this from waddupitskatrina
- mayibetriumphant likes this
- linvetta6 likes this
- modrockerbee reblogged this from dickgaysxn
- stomachblushing reblogged this from tr0picalscum
- waddupitskatrina reblogged this from womboftheworld
- waddupitskatrina likes this
- raging-horm0nes likes this
- drspencergraygubler reblogged this from bibliophilismiscool
- herblunt reblogged this from womboftheworld
- bibliophilismiscool reblogged this from a-mericachavez
- mscongyniality reblogged this from doctor-could-be-bisexual
- mscongyniality likes this
- distantl4nd likes this
- a-mericachavez reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- mytangledbeing reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- madamtwinkxavia reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- madamtwinkxavia likes this
- seraphsword-seraphs reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- seraphsword-seraphs likes this
- whalesandpetunias likes this
- asuka-in-tokyo3 likes this
- frozenoverblackballoon likes this
- django-smith reblogged this from springtime-for-hitler-n-germany
- django-smith likes this